Dentistry For Kids
Our family dental practice is happy to provide comprehensive oral care to patients of all ages – including young children!
We recommend bringing your son or daughter by for their first checkup around the time his or her first tooth erupts. This helps them become familiar with a dental setting fairly early on and reduces the chances that their first visit will be due to something related to discomfort (such as a cavity).
At each checkup, we’ll provide essential services like:
- Exams: Dr. Cook thoroughly assesses your child’s smile for signs of cavities, trauma, infection, or eruption complications that could impact adult teeth later. We recommend a visit at least every 6 months to detect problems as early as possible.
- Cleanings: Our hygienists gently clean your child’s teeth and provide essential oral hygiene education tips to encourage healthy smiles for life.
- Fluoride: Prescription strength fluoride makes enamel stronger and more resistant to cavities, protecting both baby and adult teeth!
- Sealants: Protective sealants help repel acids and bacteria in the hard-to-reach grooves of your child’s back teeth. They can help your son or daughter avoid the risk of childhood cavities by making it easier to clean their molars. Dr. Cook usually recommends placing sealants on the 1st and 2nd sets of molars – which typically erupt around the ages of 6 and 12, give or take a couple of years.
- Digital X-rays: X-rays let us inspect the eruption patterns of your child’s teeth. This is an important step in avoiding orthodontic complications later on, as well as catching tooth decay that isn’t visible during a clinical exam.
Our early morning hours make it easy to work visits in before your child heads to school. Call our Huntsville office today to schedule your family’s next visit! 256-539-4079